This spring our BCcampus Book Club will use How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi to facilitate discussions about the difference between being non-racist and being anti-racist. We invite staff and educators from post-secondary institutions across the province to join our book club. Using Ibram Kendi’s book as our backdrop, the BCcampus Book Club will unpack the meaning of anti-racism in our sector and local context. Rather than a chronological study, we will use weekly synchronous sessions to discuss the various ideas and definitions presented in the book using the following themes:
- April 6: Kickoff, Community Building, and Charter ·
- April 13: Session I — Self and Schemas
- April 20: Session II — Society and Structures
- April 27: Session III — Schools and Syllabus, Panel Discussion with Guests
- May 4: Session IV — Success and Solidarity
Our team has designed a facilitation guide with questions and prompts that will be unpacked during our sessions and activities we will collectively explore during our drop-in discussions to round out the weeks. Our weekly schedule for the club is as follows:
- Monday morning musings: Message from facilitators with prompts for the week
- Wednesday synchronous session: Zoom discussion with participants about weekly themes
- Friday café connect: Optional drop-in space to share individual reflections and or participate in the weekly activity
Please note the synchronous sessions will not be recorded.
- Have you ordered or purchased the book yet?
- Do you commit to reading How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi?
- Can you commit to the weekly 90-minute synchronous sessions on the following dates: April 6, April 13, April 20, April 27, May 4?
This event has a $25 non-refundable registration fee.
Registration coming soon!
This notice is to inform you that this session will be recorded, archived, and made available publicly on BCcampus.ca. By participating in this session, you acknowledge that your participation in this session will be recorded and the recording will be made available openly.