BCcampus is hosting a free one-day workshop to explore the capabilities of H5P and Pressbooks as homework systems.
H5P is an open-source plugin that allows for the creation of interactive activities that can be embedded in the web, including Pressbooks and various learning management systems (LMS). These activities include multiple-choice quizzes, drag-and-drop questions, fill in the blank, image hotspots, and more. The goal of this workshop is to begin to develop system-wide capacity on how to develop formative self-assessment (AKA homework) material using H5P and Pressbooks.
This will be a hands-on workshop, so please bring a laptop and be prepared to spend the day working and collaborating with others on finding and creating H5P activities.
While no previous knowledge of H5P is needed, it would be useful if you had some experience with or knowledge of Pressbooks, as we will be doing much of our work inside of Pressbooks.
Who should attend?
Faculty, instructional designers, educational technologists, multimedia developers, and open education enthusiasts interested in finding, using, and developing interactive activities using H5P. While we will focus primarily on the integration of H5P with Pressbooks, the skills developed in this workshop will be applicable and transferable to other systems in which H5P can be used, such as Moodle (or other LMS) integrations. The workshop is limited to people affiliated with B.C. public post-secondary institutions.
- To showcase H5P and Pressbooks projects within the system
- To begin to develop an H5P community in the B.C. post-secondary system
- To build capacity within the the system on how to use the technology (hands-on training examples)
- To begin to collaboratively explore the potential and limitations of H5P and Pressbooks as a homework system/open digital publishing platform
- Steel Wagstaff, Pressbooks
- Josie Gray, BCcampus
- Lucas Wright, UBC
- Brenna Clarke Gray, TRU
- Chad Flinn, BCIT
- Clint Lalonde, BCcampus
Agenda (subject to change)
9:00 Set up day and Open Homework Systems Project (Clint)
9:15 Opening speaker (Steel Wagstaff, Pressbooks)
9:45 Demo showcase #1 (Brenna, Lucas, Chad)
10:30 Accessibility in H5P (Josie)
11:00 Using H5P (all facilitators). Topics may include:
- H5P content types
- Finding and downloading (embedding, reusing, licensing)
- Where to find resources to incorporate into H5P (photos, videos, etc.)
- Using H5P outside of Pressbooks
- How to license and share activities (including cloning routine in PB and H5P)
- Export routines in Pressbooks
1:00 Using H5P (continued, all facilitators)
3:15 Group activities on H5P features
- What needs to be done to make H5P and Pressbooks a system comparable to commercial learning systems, such as MyLab, Top Hat, and Revel? What are important features that will lead to adoption by faculty of an H5P/Pressbooks homework system?
Registration is limited to 30, after which time a waitlist will be taken. Register for the workshop online.