We’ve answered a few common questions about the Festival of Learning 2018, but if you can’t find the event information you’re looking for, please feel free to contact us.
What does registration to #FoL18 include?
- Entry to all sessions and workshops
- An option for childcare
- Networking and social opportunities
- Meals for each day – breakfast, lunch, and two breaks
- Yoga classes and meditation sessions
- Guided walks
Is the Festival of Learning 2018 event open to educators outside of BC?
Everyone is welcome to attend the Festival of Learning 2018. While our focus is on issues facing the B.C. post-secondary system, we welcome attendees from other parts of Canada and the world.
Where should I stay?
Is there parking available at #FoL18?
The Pinnacle Hotel offers a great selection of amenities, including on-site parking. Please check their amenities page for current pricing.
Where can I store my luggage after checking out?
There will be luggage storage available each day of the event. Please ask at the registration desk for the complete details.
Who are the keynote speakers?
Visit Festival of Learning Keynote Speakers for details. We will be adding more details about the keynote presentations as we get closer to the event.
How can I update the information about my presentation on the schedule?
What social events have been planned?
Join us Monday, May 28 from 4:30pm – 9:00pm, in the Vista Room on the 19th floor of our conference hotel. Enjoy 360-degree views of the city and North Shore mountains, a no-host bar, entertainment, and time to connect with friends and colleagues. Visit Social Event for more details.
Is there a meeting space available during the event?
We have meeting spaces available. See the Registration desk if you require assistance.
Meeting space options:
- The Shanghai Boardroom (capacity 16 ppl):
- Daily 7:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Session Rooms (capacity for 40-60 ppl):
- Morning/breakfast meetings (before the keynote): 7:45 am – 8:45 am
- Lunch meetings 12:05 pm – 1:15 pm
- Late meetings (after conference hours): 4:15 pm – 5:00 pm
How to book a meeting space:
To book the Shanghai Boardroom or one of the conference Session Rooms:
- Check the Festival schedule for room availability. https://bccampus.ca/festival-of-learning-2018/schedule/.
- Select Schedule – By Venue on the upper left hand side. You will see the schedule with sessions and room listings by their name e.g., Shanghai Boardroom, Port of Vancouver, Ballroom 1, etc. Based on availability, decide on what room you would like to book for your meeting.
- Email email@example.com with the header “Room Booking at Fol18”. Include the following information and we will book your space for you and confirm your booking by sending you a link.
- Organizer for the meeting
- Title of the meeting (to put it on the schedule)
- Name of your group
- Date/time for your meeting
How is the Festival of Learning an inclusive and accessible event?
We have taken a number of steps to ensure this event is inclusive and supports diverse needs. For example, participants are invited to choose name tag ribbons that indicate their pronouns. As well, we are ensuring the availability of all-gender washrooms on the main conference floor.
The conference floor is completely wheelchair accessible, and we’ve reserved seating for participants in need of improved accessibility.
I heard there was free childcare available – is that true?
Complimentary childcare is available for 10 children per day. When registering for the Festival, indicate you want to take advantage of this complimentary childcare. Please visit our Inclusivity page for more information.
Do I need to bring a change of clothes for yoga?
The yoga classes are a come-as-you-are experience, so please bring whatever you’re comfortable stretching in.
What is being done to reduce the environmental impact of this event?
We feel that it’s important to consider the environment in all of our activities, and we’ve incorporated the following into #FoL18:
Pinnacle Hotel Harbourside Venue:
- Operates the most ENERGY STAR® certified properties in the industry
- Energy-efficient lights
- Low-flow showerheads and toilets
- Water/energy-saving linen program
- Pitcher water service, no water bottles. Note: There will be no water bottles available at #FoL18, so please bring your own and fill up at one of the many water stations throughout the conference floor
- For excess catering – composting of all food waste from kitchens, banquets, restaurants, and lounges; this compost is then converted to organic fertilizer pellets
- Recycling of all glass, gabled, and tin containers
Materials and Signage:
- Recycled lanyards
- Recycled-paper name tags (please be sure to recycle yours)
- Reusable signage
- Burrard Skytrain Station about .5 km from hotel
- Harbour Air Seaplanes about .5 km from hotel
- Vancouver city-bike rack in front of the hotel
Design and Installations:
- Upcycled props
- Recycled props
- LED lighting in installations
Cancellations and refunds policy
Tuesday, May 22, 2018 is the last day to cancel and receive a refund. If you cancel, your registration fee will be refunded less $25.00. Refunds will be issued after the event and will not be given to no shows. We encourage you to transfer your registration to another person if you are unable to attend. Please contact event registration for any cancellation and transfer requests.
Where would I find information for international delegates who want to attend the event?
Please check Visa Information for International Delegates information for complete details.
My question hasn’t been answered yet.
Please contact us if you have any questions regarding Festival of Learning 2018.
For all BCcampus hosted and partnered events, as well as, external events hosted by B.C. post-secondary institutions see the BCcampus Events calendar.