Application of Policy
BCcampus believes in protecting your privacy and recognizes the sensitivity of Personal Information (as defined below). This policy outlines how we manage your Personal Information and safeguard your privacy.
BCcampus manages Personal Information in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection Privacy Act (British Columbia) and other relevant laws (collectively “Privacy Laws”). This policy explains generally our Personal Information practices, but in all respects, this policy and our practices are subject to and will be in accordance with applicable Privacy Laws.
By providing Personal Information to us and using our services, you agree to the terms of this policy. However, we are committed to continuous improvement and value your input. We welcome your comments and/or suggestions on improving this policy. If you have any concerns, please contact us at the address listed at the end of this policy.
This policy does not apply to the practices of institutions, companies, or other entities that BCcampus does not manage or control. This policy does not apply to information regarding corporations or other non-individuals.
The following definitions are used for the purposes of this policy:
Personal Information means information about an identifiable individual, and includes things such as gender, age, address information, ethnicity, financial information, registration, course, educational credit and grades information, ID numbers and any other data assigned to an individual.
Summarized Data means records which have been manipulated or combined to provide generalized or aggregated information.
Collection of Personal Information
This policy covers our treatment of Personal Information that we collect, either through communications or interaction, we may have with you (such as emails, telephone conversations, face-to-face, or written correspondence) or through our website. This policy also covers our treatment of any information shared with us by third parties.
Sometimes we may collect Personal Information about you from other sources, provided that such sources confirm to us that they are permitted to share such information, such information is publicly available, or the collection is required or authorized by law. Examples of collection from other sources include collections from:
- educational institutions who use or participate in our services and with which you are registered; and
- a government agency or registry in connection with the services we provide you and to prevent fraud, check the identity of new clients, and similar matters.
Use of Personal Information
BCcampus may collect and use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to open and manage your registration at BCcampus and the educational institutions with which you are registered;
- to deliver to you the services of BCcampus and the educational institutions with which you are registered;
- to send out information on BCcampus and the educational institutions with which we do business;
- to verify the identity of persons registering for events and courses through us;
- to understand your needs and preferences for our services and those of the educational institutions with which we do business;
- to contact learners for purposes connected with their registration at BCcampus and at the educational institutions with which we do business;
- to provide input or conduct surveys related to our services;
- to provide access to online and distance education courses and programs available throughout the British Columbia public post-secondary system;
- to provide support services and other learning resources for learners, faculty and course developers, staff, and administrators;
- or as required or authorized by law.
BCcampus may also use your Personal Information for purposes reasonably consistent with the above purposes.
Disclosure of Personal Information
BCcampus does not and will not sell, rent, share or disclose your Personal Information without first receiving your permission or as disclosed in this policy.
Under certain circumstances, BCcampus will disclose your Personal Information:
- when you have consented to the disclosure;
- to fulfill the purpose for which the Personal Information was collected or for a purpose reasonably consistent with that purpose;
- when the services we are providing to you require us to give information to third parties, such as the educational institutions with which you are registered or governmental bodies;
- where it is necessary to establish or collect fees;
- if we engage a third party to provide services to us (like computer back-up services, archival file storage, or client research) and the third party is bound by confidentiality obligations;
- if the information is already publicly known; or
- when we are required or authorized by law to do so.
Except where we are required by law to disclose Personal Information, where commercially practicable we will make arrangements by agreement, instruction, or otherwise to protect Personal Information disclosed to third parties.
We may also use your Personal Information to generate Summarized Data for internal use and for sharing with educational institutions and government bodies with which we do business. Your identity and Personal Information will be kept anonymous in Summarized Data. Summarized Data may be used for research, marketing, or planning purposes.
By providing Personal Information to us and by using our services, you voluntarily consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Information as specified in this policy. Without limiting the foregoing, we may on occasion ask you to consent when we collect, use, or disclose your Personal Information in specific circumstances, in which case we may ask for your consent in writing although in some circumstances we may accept your oral consent. Sometimes your consent will be implied through your conduct with us if the purpose of the collection, use, or disclosure is obvious and you voluntarily provide the information. In addition, we may collect, use, and disclose Personal Information without your consent when we are required or authorized by law to do so.
You may wish to opt out of receiving certain information and marketing or promotional materials from BCcampus. You may do so by contacting us at the address at the end of this policy or at another address we may provide for that purpose. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you opt out, BCcampus nonetheless reserves the right to retain, collect, use, and disclose Personal Information without your consent where we are required or permitted by law to do so.
Access to and Correction of Personal Information
Individuals have the right to know what Personal Information BCcampus has collected about them, how that information is being used and to whom it has been disclosed, as well as to verify and amend that information if it is incorrect. Upon receiving a written access and/or correction request, and where the identity of the requestor can be confirmed, information held by BCcampus that is identifiable to the requestor, as well as information on all use and disclosures of that information, will be released to the requestor within 30 days, except where that release is not required or is prohibited by law, and if necessary BCcampus will correct the Personal Information of the requestor.
Where appropriate, BCcampus may instead transfer your request to a third-party government body or educational institution if the information was provided by or for that third party, that third party was the first to obtain the information, or the information is in the custody or control of that third party.
Can I Be Denied Access to My Personal Information?
Your rights to access your Personal Information are not absolute. We may deny access when denial of access is required or authorized by law.
Website and Email
Please remember that you control what Personal Information you provide to BCcampus while visiting the BCcampus website. You can visit the BCcampus website without registering or providing any Personal Information at all.
We cannot guarantee the confidentiality or security of any email communications or information sent by you to us via email or the website. If you wish to send us confidential information, please notify us first to make arrangements.
Our website contains links to other sites, which are not governed by this policy. You should consider the individual privacy policies of such websites, and make an informed decision whether or not to use these sites based upon their privacy practices.
This website uses Google Analytics and/or Google Tag Manager with IP Masking to better understand how visitors engage with our site. You can learn more here: https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. BCcampus monitors traffic patterns, site usage, and related site information and may collect or compile certain information that is not personally identifiable in order to make BCcampus more useful by learning about the number of visitors and by monitoring traffic patterns and the types of technology that visitors use.
- The web browser and operating system you are using;
- The date and time of the visit;
- The pages or services accessed;
- If you were on another website before visiting BCcampus, the URL (web address) of that previous website if it referred you to BCcampus;
- The URL (web address) of the first website you visit immediately upon leaving BCcampus if you were referred to that website by BCcampus;
- The Internet Protocol (IP) network domain name (e.g. shaw.ca) and address (e.g. 18.104.22.168) of the computer you are using. IP address and domain are identifiers that may be used to distinguish between users and identify your internet service provider or your computer itself.
BCcampus, via its websites, will notify you if cookies will be collecting additional information from you. A cookie may remain on your computer after the Internet session finishes (until the cookie expires or is deleted by you).
Is My Personal Information Secure?
BCcampus takes reasonable steps to ensure that your Personal Information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification, or disclosure.
Retention of Personal Information
Personal Information, including any such information in Summarized Data, will be retained in accordance with this policy only for as long as may be necessary or relevant for the purpose of collection, or as may be required or permitted by law, after which time it will be made anonymous, destroyed or transferred to a relevant government body or educational institution with which you are registered, unless you further consent to its continued retention by us. Information that you may provide to BCcampus that is in excess of what is necessary for the identified purpose of collection will not be retained by BCcampus.
Since BCcampus regularly reviews all of its policies and procedures, we may change this policy from time to time and such changes will be effective from the date of revision and posting on our website.
This policy will be governed by the laws of the Province of British Columbia and the laws of Canada applicable therein, excluding any conflict of laws rules that would otherwise apply another body of law. This policy constitutes and contains the entire agreement between you and BCcampus with respect to its subject matter and supersedes any prior oral or written agreements.
If any provision of this policy is held to be illegal or unenforceable, that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that this policy will otherwise remain in full force and effect and enforceable.
Your Responsibility for Privacy
Ultimately, you are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your passwords and/or any Personal Information in your possession. Always be careful and responsible regarding your personal Information.
Should you have any further questions or concerns about this site, please email us.