Introduction and Statement of Purpose
In partnership with the Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills, BCcampus is project managing a revision of the Health Care Assistant Program: Supplement to the Provincial Curriculum Guide (2015). In 2022 the Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills funded a revision of the Health Care Assistant Program Provincial Curriculum, published in Pressbooks in June 2023.
We invite applications for an instructional designer with experience in provincially standardized curricula to assist BCcampus, subject-matter experts, and an advisory committee with revising the Health Care Assistant Program: Supplement to the Provincial Curriculum Guide (2015) to align with the newly revised Health Care Assistant Program Provincial Curriculum.
This instructional designer will provide expertise and oversight to the revision of the Health Care Assistant Program: Supplement to the Provincial Curriculum Guide (2015). Sections of the supplement in scope of this revision project are:
- Suggested learning strategies and activities
- Case studies and scenarios
- Suggested approaches to assessment
- Resources and references
- Textbook list
- Acute care content
- Indigenous content
The main goal of the revision is to ensure the supplement aligns with the newly revised Health Care Assistant Program Provincial Curriculum.
Revision of the Health Care Assistant Program Provincial Curriculum, including program hours and learning outcomes, and the B.C. Health Care Assistants Core Competency Profile are out of scope for this project.
- Work with the subject-matter expert to determine gaps between the supplement and the revised curriculum.
- Using information from an environmental scan, the advisory committee, and a gap analysis, suggest revisions to the Health Care Assistant Program: Supplement to the Provincial Curriculum Guide.
- Working with a subject-matter expert, design and co-facilitate working group meetings to complete writing sprints for supplement resources.
- Provide expertise and guidance to the subject-matter expert, advisory group, and working group to support the revision and creation of supplement resources.
Time lines for submission:
- Submit proposal by October 6, 2023.
- BCcampus will award the contract on October 11, 2023.
Time line for work related to this project:
- Supplement writing: November 2023–March 2024
- Final supplement published: May 2024
Expectations of Selected Applicants
The following skills and deliverables are expected of successful applicants:
- Comfortable working collaboratively with subject-matter experts, advisory committees, and provincial ministries.
- Attend advisory group meetings and check-in meetings with the project manager and subject-matter expert.
- Provide guidance and support for the development and revision of resources.
- Ensure resources and information in the Health Care Assistant Program: Supplement to the Provincial Curriculum Guide align and meet learning outcomes in the newly revised Health Care Assistant Program Provincial Curriculum.
- Ensure the resource meets accessibility guidelines and is copyright compliant.
- Demonstrate a commitment to incorporating intersectionality, equity, diversity, inclusion, and justice in the design, content, and pedagogical approach of the resource.
- Agree the resource uses a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license, which allows others to freely retain, copy, modify, remix, and redistribute the content.
- Complete the work in the agreed on timeframe.
- Provide all source and editable files used in creating the resource, including multimedia files, to enable further remixing and modifications.
Please provide a proposal that includes the following information:
- Description of your experience with provincially standardized curricula
- Breakdown of tasks needed to meet deliverables
- Time line for each task
- Estimated budget to meet all deliverables, including hours and hourly rate
- Curriculum vitae
Please email your proposal to Rebecca Shortt by October 6, 2023.
The total amount of each service contract does not include GST. Payment will be tied to deliverables and based on hours worked.
Proposal Evaluation Criteria
Applicants will be evaluated based on experience with the following:
- Project steps and milestones are clearly articulated and can be reasonably met.
- Proposal clearly states an understanding of the target learner, deliverables, and intention of the project.
- Content demonstrates inclusion, accessibility, and diversity.
- Universal Design for Learning principles are evident in the design.
- Content meets interoperability and accessibility standards.
- Role of the instructional designer and relevant experience are clearly described, including:
- Experience working with provincially standardized curricula
- Experience working with health care curricula is considered a strong asset
- The budget is reasonable given the work proposed.
- The budget clearly shows when the project work and related expenses will occur.
The successful applicant will be contacted for further discussion and next steps.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Statement
BCcampus is committed to inclusion. From the workplace to our learning spaces, we value diversity and are actively working to decolonize our organization and the ways in which we collaborate with others. We believe a more diverse team will help us better support the individuals and communities we work with.
We encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including but not limited to:
- First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and all other Indigenous Peoples
- Members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual beliefs, or place of origin
- Persons with visible and/or invisible (i.e., physical and/or mental) disabilities
- Persons who identify as women
- Persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions
We recognize many of these identities intersect, and therefore equity, diversity, and inclusion can be complex. We value the contributions each person brings and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all in our community.