Closing date for proposals: February 19, 2020
Successful submission notification date: February 25, 2020
Successful recipient announcement date: February 26, 2020
Since 2012, the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training has funded B.C. open education initiatives and tasked BCcampus with managing them. Our goal is to provide flexible and affordable access to post-secondary learning resources in B.C. by making open educational resources (OER) available and supporting open educational practices (OEP).
In April 2019, funding of $3.26 million for OER was announced by Melanie Mark, Minister of Advanced Education, Skills and Training, at the Cascadia Open Education Summit. BCcampus will be using this funding for the development of OER.
BCcampus has identified the need to align available OER for nursing programs found in a nursing OER environmental scan conducted by eCampusOntario with the “Competencies in the Context of Entry-Level Registered Nurse Practice in British Columbia” document from the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
The completed environmental scan has already been aligned to the competencies from the College of Nurses of Ontario in columns J and K of the environmental scan document. Now, we are looking for B.C. applicants to align the OER with the BCCNP competencies.
This work, once completed, will allow BCcampus to identify gaps in the resources and help determine priorities for future OER development.
What is an open educational resource?
Open educational resources (OER) are freely accessible, openly licensed documents and media that are useful for teaching, learning, and assessing, as well as for research purposes.
What is an open textbook?
An open textbook is a textbook licensed under an open-copyright licence and made available online to be freely used by students, teachers, and members of the public. Print-on-demand copies are also made available at cost.
This expression of interest is for individuals, groups or institutions and their representatives (e.g., faculty members, articulation committees, teaching and learning centres, libraries, and OER working groups) in British Columbia and the Yukon that are interested in completing the work of aligning the current list of nursing open educational resources with the B.C. nursing competencies.
Estimated completion time: 1 month
Expectations and requirements of selected applicants
The following commitments and actions are expected of successful applicants:
- Align the OER for nursing programs found in a nursing OER environmental scan conducted by eCampusOntario with the “Competencies in the Context of Entry-Level Registered Nurse Practice in British Columbia” document from the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals.
- This has been done for Ontario in columns J and K of the Open at Scale Nursing OER Spreadsheet.
- The successful applicant will create a new column in this spreadsheet and align the resources with the competencies found in the “Competencies in the Context of Entry-Level Registered Nurse Practice in British Columbia” document from the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals.
The application form should be completed and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For funding to be released, this project must:
- Be completed on time.
- Have all resources in the eCampus Ontario Nursing Environmental scan aligned to the B.C. competencies.
Review and selection process
Applications will be evaluated by an internal review committee based on the following criteria:
- Experience — applicant(s) have knowledge of nursing education in B.C. and in Canada.
- Plan for a timeline for completion of work.
Please submit applications to email@example.com by February 18, 2020.
If you have any further questions, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.