For the second year in a row, the 2015 Symposium: Scholarly Teaching & Learning in Post-Secondary Education has sold out with registration numbers growing rapidly. This steady increase from 140 in 2014, to 200 in 2015 lets us know that there is a thirst for continuing to share our adventures in teaching and learning practice.
By adding two new strands to the Symposium this year, we offered attendees the opportunity to not only explore scholarly inquiry projects, but participants also had a chance to learn about student success stories using impactful teaching practices, as well as hear about short, rapid “research bites” – fast-paced sessions with 13 presenters sharing “bite-sized” 3-minute presentations.
In this blog post, Rachel Moll, Professor at Vancouver Island University shares the “examples of teaching with social media (and associated research that is being undertaken)” that she learned about during one of the research bites.
The 2015 Symposium: Scholarly Teaching & Learning in B.C. Post-Secondary was sponsored and hosted by BCcampus Professional Learning.
We would like to extend a special thanks to:
- Dr. Eric Davis, for a brilliant morning keynote that helped launch the day
- Professor Teresa Dawson for the afternoon keynote, which helped to summarize and close the day
- All the session presenters!
- The Symposium Organizing Committee: Liesel Knaack, Vancouver Island University; Maureen Wideman, University of the Fraser Valley; Peter Arthur, University of British Columbia Okanagan; Grant Gregson, Emily Carr University of Art and Design; Gary Hunt, Thompson Rivers University
“The growth of the Symposium, both in attendance and interest has truly exceeded our expectations, and really shows that people care about quality teaching in the province. Having Dr. Eric Davis from the University of the Fraser Valley and Teresa Dawson from the University of Victoria as our keynotes, proves this isn’t just a grassroots movement, but there is significant buy-in from B.C. post-secondary administrators and senior leadership.” Tracy Kelly, Manager, Professional Learning
- Images from the 2015 Symposium: Scholarly Teaching & Learning in Post-Secondary Education
- Social Media Research Bites from SoTL Symposium
- A Compendium of Scales for Use in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Check out the conversation from the event, with the Twitter hashtag: #Symposium15TL
Join us at an upcoming event:
T.E.L.L December: Open Badges in Higher Education – December 1, 2015
Liberating Structures Workshop – February 17-19, 2016
Stay Informed with BCcampus – sign up for our newsletter, check the calendar, or follow @BCcampus