BCcampus’ Open Education Grants program is supported by both the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training and the Hewlett Foundation. The grants are intended to achieve the following strategic goals of the BCcampus Open Education team:
- Increase access to higher education
- Improve student learning outcomes
- Increase flexible teaching and learning options for educators
Post by Amanda Coolidge, Senior Manager, Open Education
This year, BCcampus distributed the following types of grants for open education:
- Ancillary Resource Grant
- Open Educational Resource Grant: Curate, Customize, Create
- Open Educational Resource Grant: Sustainability
The successful applicants for these grants are:
- British Columbia Institute of Technology, OER Grant: Sustainability. In support of enriching Pressbooks expertise on campus through training, workshops, and infrastructure.
- Camosun College, OER Grant: Sustainability. Creation of an OER workshop specific to trades.
- Emily Carr University of Art + Design, OER Grant: Create. Creation of a Cultural Law and Production open textbook.
- Emily Carr University of Art + Design, OER Grant: Create. Creation of a Guide to using Kaltura and a Guide to Creating Virtual Reality Environments.
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University, OER Grant: Create. Creation of an Ancient and Medieval History open textbook.
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University, OER Grant: Sustainability. In support of Library Specialized Services to support open education.
- Langara College, OER Grant: Customize. Adaptation of the Environmental Biology open textbook.
- Nicola Valley Institute of Technology, Camosun College, University of British Columbia, OER Grant: Create. Creation of an Indigenization Guide for Librarians.
- Vancouver Community College, OER Grant: Create. Creation of an Indigenous Law 12 open textbook for Adult Basic Education.
BCcampus congratulates all successful applicants and would like to also extend a note of appreciation to all who applied, as this was our largest number of grant submissions to date. Kudos to B.C. for continuing to raise the flag for open education and for continuing to improve teaching and learning across the province.
- BCcampus is pleased to announce the 2017 Open Education Grant recipients
- Virtual reality and augmented reality field trips funded by OER grants
- BCcampus approved, Hewlett and AVED funded OER grants in B.C.
Join us for an upcoming event:
May 28-30 – Festival of Learning
June 11 – 15, 2018 – Facilitating Learning Online – MicroCourse: Make your course intro video
June 12, 2018 – Pressbooks, Introduction
June 12, 2018 – Pressbooks, Intermediate 2: Layout and styling tips
Oct. 24, 2018 – Save the date – Symposium 2018: Scholarly Teaching & Learning in Post-Secondary Education
Nov. 7 – 8, 2018 – Save the date – Liberating Structures Workshop 2018
To stay informed with BCcampus by signing up for our newsletter, visiting our calendar and following @BCcampus on Twitter.