Barrier-free access to research and resources is not just a nice idea: it is a necessity that is being supported with concrete actions by leaders in BC Universities. Open in Action is the theme of this year’s International Open Access Week, October 24-30.
The SFU Library invites you to join us in conversation with individuals who are taking concrete actions that advance the concept of Openness in higher education, scholarship, and the community at large . These panelists will talk about initiatives they are involved in, such as those that:
- support the development and use of open textbooks
- investigate who uses open access journal articles and under what conditions
- build infrastructure for scholarly publishing
- address community needs for information
Specifically, our panelists will talk about how their work intersects with the idea of “Open” and what motivates them towards putting “Open” into action. Following short presentations, there will be a moderated discussion.
- Juan Pablo Alperin, Assistant Professor in the Publishing Program and Research Associate with the Public Knowledge Project at Simon Fraser University.
- Gwen Bird, Dean of Libraries and University Librarian, Simon Fraser University.
- Rajiv Jhangiani, Faculty Member in the Department of Psychology, Kwantlen Polytechnic University.
- Will Engle, Strategist, Open Education Initiatives, UBC.
To view all the 2016 Open Access week events in the BCampus events calendar, Click here.