The purpose of the asynchronous, self-paced FLO Bootcamp 2022 Summer Series is to support B.C. post-secondary educators to review and tweak an existing online course in preparation for fall 2022.
The approach is meant to be “surgical”—in other words, specific, applied, and practical. Bootcamp does not cover everything—or even everything that is important about online course design and facilitation. But it will help you get in front of the problems we hear about most often.
Bootcamp is designed to provide a variety of supports within a very flexible structure on a few specific course-design issues. Central is the idea of completing individual challenges that you can apply to your course immediately.
There are scheduled, synchronous drop-in events each week for those who like to gather to ask and answer questions and discuss issues with other smart colleagues.
Over the next four weeks, you’ll work through four themes:
- Theme 1: Scan (your course, fearlessly, through a few key lenses) and plan (your Bootcamp work)
- Theme 2: Lectures and alternatives
- Theme 3: Assessments (assignments, exams, etc.)
- Theme 4: Online presence and engagement
By the end of Bootcamp, participants will have:
- Conducted a critical review of the learning design of a course of their choice
- Considered underlying strategies for assessing learning and made improvements where possible
- Explored pedagogically sound alternatives for lecturing live online
- Reflected on ways course design can be more or less inclusive of diverse student needs
- Considered the role of technology and how it is used in a course
- Had some fun!
Feeling stuck? Want some feedback from others? A drop-in hour is scheduled for Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m. PT. Members from our Learning and Teaching team will welcome you in a Zoom room to answer questions about your course design. You could also ask questions and join the Bootcamp discussion in Mattermost.
Let’s prepare for a fabulous and fun facilitation experience this fall!
Note: there is no registration required to participate in this series and there is no cost.
Start here: Theme 1: Scan and plan