Note this event has passed. Please see event archives below.
Don’t miss this year’s Symposium 2017: Scholarly Teaching & Learning in Post-Secondary Education! The Symposium is an annual one-day event presented by the BCTLC and BCcampus that brings together speakers, presentations, discussions, and networking with colleagues who share an interest in scholarly teaching and learning in post-secondary education.
Symposium 2017: Scholarly Teaching & Learning in Post-Secondary Education
When: Nov. 6, 2017
Where: Simon Fraser University – Harbour Centre, Vancouver, B.C., Canada (map)
Registration is now open! Registration includes entry to the one-day event with access to all sessions and keynotes, plus breakfast, lunch, and breaks. Take advantage of the early bird savings until Sept. 1, 2017. Early bird registration is limited, so be sure to register soon!
$65 Early-bird Registration SOLD OUT
$95 Standard Registration (until Nov. 3 or sold out)
$60 Student Registration (until Nov. 3 or sold out)
Keynote: Monday, Nov. 6, 9:10-10:05 a.m. PDT.
We were thrilled to welcome Dr. Nancy Chick as the keynote speaker at the 2017 Symposium on Scholarly Teaching & Learning in Post-Secondary Education.
Dr. Nancy Chick
Nancy Chick is the University Chair in Teaching and Learning, the Academic Director of the Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning, and Teaching Professor of English at the University of Calgary. She is co-editor of two books on signature pedagogies (Stylus, 2008, 2012) and has authored dozens of book chapters and articles on the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) as a field, as well as her SoTL projects.
She is currently editing Doing SoTL: Thin Slices of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Action, which will be published by Stylus in 2018. With Gary Poole, she is also the founding co-editor of Teaching & Learning Inquiry, the journal of the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL).
- Keynote, Dr. Nancy Chick – Scholarly Teaching to SoTL: Exploring the Shared “S”
- Scholarly Teaching to SoTL: Exploring the Shared “S”
- Symposium 2017 Keynote – Dr. Nancy Chick, University Chair in Teaching and Learning, University of Calgary
- Analysis of UFV Student Learning Patterns: Ratio of Instructor-Directed (In-Class) to Independent (Out-of-Class) Time Spent on Learning Activities
- Presentation by Samantha Pattridge and Hannah Peters (UFV)
- Encouraging Folio-Thinking: Capturing the Learning with e-Portfolio
- Presentation by Claire Hay, Associate Professor of Geography, University of the Fraser Valley, Michelle Johnson, Educational Developer, University of the Fraser Valley and Mary Gene Saudelli, Faculty, Teaching and Learning, University of the Fraser Valley
- Changing the way we teach teams
- Presentation by Shauna Jones, Senior Lecturer, Simon Fraser University
Call for proposals